Saturday, October 9, 2010

Our day in the North End....

Wow...its been a busy busy week!! I have been working with 3 Underwriters instead of 1 since one of my co-workers is out for last week and next week...don't get me wrong...I LOVE to be busy because it makes the day go really fast...but by the end of the week I am exhausted...but we do have a 3 day weekend so I can rest up. I am coming down with a cold so I can take it easy and maybe nip that in the bud!

Today is a beautiful day so Kevin and I decided to go to the North End and do some exploring...we haven't been there since we moved here and we have heard alot of good things about it. We thought we would follow some of the "Freedom Trail" and maybe eat at one of the Italian Restaurants...however most of them were either very full or had very expensive menus...so we ended up waiting until just before we left and had lunch at a place called The Kinsale...it was an Irish Pub and Grill....it was very good! Anyway I am getting a little ahead of myself....so let me start with some pictures taken before we left...

My two favorite boys...:)

Once we got downtown and parked we were walking towards the North End and I saw this church...it was a very beautiful church...it is called the Old West Church....

On the way to the North End we stopped at the TD Garden to buy some tickets to a Bruins hockey game for Kevin's birthday...it was a game playing on his birthday and he has been wanting to go to a hockey game for a while...
This is a statue of Bobby Orr. A famous hockey player. This was one of the most famous winning goals in history.

Inside the TD Garden is also where you can buy tickets to go on the Commuter Rail and Amtrak...so there were alot of people. While Kevin bought the tickets I took some pictures...


After we were done with getting the tickets we walked through the North End...which is very well known for being the city's oldest residential community where people have lived since the 1630's. They have alot of Italian restaurants. There are also alot of pastry and bakeries...we went in them but we didn't buy any...everything looked so good...but we know that we can't be eating that stuff! Here are some of the pictures I took as we walked around...


We came across another beautiful church called St. Leonard's Peace Garden. It had some statues outside...and the inside was awesome but I didn't take any pictures because I didn't know if I could or not. Here is the pictures I was able to take...

We walked across the street and they had the Paul Revere statue and behind it was the Old North Church. We walked some more and found that you could go inside the historical church and take pictures...so in we went. This church is almost 300 years old and from what the lady inside told us the people would pay for their pews...they weren't like a normal church these days. Each family had their own box pew. She told us some of the history of the church and I took some more pictures before we left..it was amazing. They still to this day have Sunday Services there. The depend on the people to help donate to keep the church open. Pretty much everyone, including ourselves donated some money in the original cedar donation box. Very cool!!




Kevin sitting in one of the box pews




We came across this Memorial Garden for all the men and women in the armed forces that have given their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan...the things hanging were dog tags and when the wind hit them they chimed...it was very touching...

As we were walking back we came across this sign...took this for you Kevin and Kristen...

When we almost were back to our car we came across this Irish Pub and decided to stop and eat...I took a few more pictures of my sweet husband...


At first I thought this was a silly picture...but I actually really like it...LOL...isn't he handsome?!
Here is a picture of my lunch...it was Chicken Pot Pie...it was delicious! I could only eat about half!


Here are some pictures of the restaurant and a mural that was painted on the wall where we sat...

We stopped at the CVS and bought me some cold medicine and then headed home to our sweet puppy...I went outside with him and Kevin to get some pictures...I called him and he started running towards me..the reason you can't see his nose is because he is licking it...LOL

While we were at the Pro Shop at the TD Gardens we saw this Bruins jersey for Riley and had to get it...here he is showing it off...

So darn cute!! Well now that I have updated you all on what we did today...I am going to go and lay down a bit...reliving the day has made me more tired!! LOL...have a wonderful Saturday friends!!

3 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

I've never seen box pews before... or even heard of them! Wow. Must be nice to have a little privacy. I wonder how and why they came up with them in the first place.

Riley is cute as ever!

Lyndsay said...

What a fun filled day! I swear I've seen that pub before in a movie or something...it looked really familiar!

Biz said...

What a fun day! I love all the church pictures too :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin