Friday, October 23, 2009

Yearly checkup time! *UPDATED*

Well its that time of year again...I made an appointment for Riley to have his yearly exam and update his vaccinations...I always hate this appointment....I never like to see him get shots..I know its good for him but I don't like him being so tired and icky afterwards...when he got his yearly vaccinations a couple years ago this was a picture I took of him when we came home...and you know just by looking at him he didn't feel so good....:(


Last night he kind of scared us a bit...I heard this weird noise and looked over at him and he was heaving and trying to throw up...but nothing was coming up...then he did it again and the threw up some yellow foam with a little blood in it...I panicked and called the vet hospital and they said if he is acting ok and doesn't do it anymore than just to keep an eye on him...well he was fine the rest of the night...and then this morning he threw up again but it didn't have any blood in it...when I called this morning she sounded a little concerned and wanted me to get him in today...so I have an appointment at 2:30...I am a little nervous now...please keep Riley in your thoughts...he is our sweet little guy and we just love him to pieces!!

**********************
Just got back from the vet...and he said that he didn't find anything stuck in Riley's mouth...I forgot to mention earlier that a couple days ago Riley got a hold of a popsicle stick and chewed it up and I am sure I got all of it back but the vet wanted to make sure that he didn't have a splinter or something in his throat. He said that the act of throwing up itself can cause a little bleeding...and as hard as he was doing it last night I could understand that.

He did his full exam including pressing all around his stomach and said that everything was normal and he wasn't sensitive anywhere...took his temperature and everything was fine. His weight has gone up from 8.5 (when we moved) to 10.2 pounds! Guess we need more walks in the park...LOL Anyways...he wanted to give Riley a shot of antibiotics and pepsid to settle his stomach. He also said they can do one of two things...or both if I wanted. He said he would suggest doing blood work to make sure everything is ok...or we could do an Xray to rule out anything inside of him...he said he didn't really think an Xray was necessary as he is going to the bathroom and has been keeping his food down but did suggest the blood work to check his white and red blood counts..so we just did the bloodwork. Riley was NOT happy with that decision! He jerked when he put he needle in and the vet said he will probably get a bruise and be sore...but he is doing good and he is home:) We should hear back on the blood work tomorrow.

I do have to bring him back in a week or two for his vaccinations...they can't give him the vaccinations when he is throwing up or has other stomach issues...so unfortunately he will have to go back....I love the vet but he doesn't...LOL

5 comments:

~Kristen~ said...

Awww, I know the little guy will be just fine!!! Every now and then Bailey throws up that yellow stuff. Every dog I know did this occasionally. It is usually bile and it can happen if their stomach is empty. But I so feel your concern. Even though I know it is nothing I freak when Bailey so much as sniffles!!! They are our babies!!!

Furry Bottoms said...

I remember this! Kristen is right, the yellow foamy stuff happens to all dogs. Both Buddy and Freddy has done that. Keep us posted though!!

Furry Bottoms said...

I am so glad to know Riley is OK! Are you dressing him up this year for Halloween?

Unknown said...

aww I hope your lil guy is ok! Hes a cutie! :)

Unknown said...

Sure hope the little guy feels better soon... Just popped over from The Blog Frog..Very nice blog

Blog Widget by LinkWithin